SE ASIA - DAY 42 - CHIANG MAI to SUKHOTHAI

Yesterday, the weather forecast said that it will rain today.
Today, when I checked again in the morning, it says cloudy instead of rain.
There was a very slight drizzle and I thought maybe the weather is going to be fine as I ride out of Chiang Mai southwards.


My destination is Sukhothai, which is the capital of Sukhothai kingdom in the 13th and 14th century. Now, what remains are ruins of the kingdom, pretty much the Thai version of Angkor Wat. It is called the Sukhothai Historical Park.

Stopped by some rice paddy fields for toilet break.

The uniform light green colour shoots actually was quite a sight, too bad my photography skills (or camera) weren't able to capture the beauty of it.

The initial highway 1 ride was very smooth, which I manage to do about 100-130km/hr when the drizzle is light enough. When the rain gets heavy, visibility were limited and the speed was about 70km/hr. Road condition was excellent. But when it turned left into road 1048, things got slowed down, it was only one lane per direction and there were occasion bad roads and pot holes. The entire journey took me 5 hours instead.

When I reach the historical park, it was raining. I thought then that it was not in a condition where I can properly explore the place so I decided to look for lodging instead as the weather forecast shows that there should be just cloudy and no rain tomorrow.

Google suggested this guest house call EZHOME at 650THB. There is a more luxurious bigger room option for 200THB more with a balcony. I booked the 850THB one and headed to the Sukhothai town where the hotel is, about 11km from the historical park. Thinking of visiting the park tomorrow.

Reached the guesthouse shortly, just about 20mins slow cruising. Parked the bike right outside the guesthouse.


The room was indeed big and spacious as shown in the website. One thing I dislike about most guesthouse is that you are suppose to remove your shoes when you step into the vincinity. I was in my boots and removing it weren't easy. Luckily, it is only during the registration, after that, I can go straight to the room through the back door without taking out my shoes.


The WIFI speed is surprisingly good here, probably I am the only guest staying here right now.

But the town is really not exciting from what I can see from the balcony.

Cleanup, laundry and go out for lunch.

Indeed, nothing exciting I can find for lunch, settled with a local food store like this.

Had a Thai version of Wanton Noodles, 35THB. (SGD1.50)
As they don't serve beer, I did not order any drinks, they gave me a complimentary ice water to go with it.


The portion wasn't enough as I skipped my breakfast as there were a long queue of customers there before me waiting for their breakfast, containing two fried egg and a sausage.

I passed by another DIMSUM(点心) shop and ordered 6 SiewMai(烧卖)for 30THB, that completes the picture. They have a practice to give you side garnish even for small orders like this.

As it is still raining, will take this opportunity to catch up on "The Walking Dead" series since the internet connection is fast enough.


Will explore the historical park tomorrow early morning and stay here one more day before moving to Ayutthaya. I hope to reach Bangkok during New Years Eve to catch some celebration mood there.

Day 43 - Sukhothai - Free and Easy



Comments

Popular Posts