SE ASIA - Post trip review (FINAL)



In this trip, I get to see and experience many things. I would not be able to put them all down here, but these are what I can pull out from my mind.

Initially, I was worried about getting robbed/conned/scammed as I traveled alone. The risk are there but not as serious I thought it was.  Most people in these countries are kind and friendly in nature, but still, stay safe and avoid putting yourself in dangerous situations such as walking in dark alleys at night,  be wary of the minority of people out that such as touts or the Tuk Tuk drivers that is out to con money out from tourists.

There are lots of people living in poverty in these countries, putting up in wooden shacks and living with SGD 1/day expense. I get to appreciate what we have in Singapore, where as long as you get a job, you are unlikely to starve. I am aware that there are significant number of SG people struggling with their living expenses, but still living in HDB which cannot be that worse off.

A few local people I spoke to in Cambodia, Laos and Thailand all complained about government corruption and how much it affects their life. I am not propagating for the leading party here in SG, but we are lucky to have the government we have today, so we should stop complaining about the minor differences in thoughts we have and let them focus on their priorities. There may be imperfection or areas that doesn't meet our expectations, but we have to acknowledge the fact that coming from where we were many years back, it is one of the best managed countries in Asia today.

I get to ride along the streets where not much tourist goes, passing through houses where kids will rush to wave at me wanting to give a high-five. They hardly see big bikes and probably thought they saw a real-life power ranger. I would have loved to do the high-five but afraid of hitting them with my bulky side panniers. These kids probably haven't come contact much with mobile phones, Internet and the modern day kids toys. They play with their pets, bicycles and all kind of traditional games. It kind of brings me back to where I was some 30 years ago. My point is, yes, there are people still living in such remote areas today.  I get to appreciate the safe, comfortable environment and the opportunities I have grown up with in SG while experiencing the economy development of the country at the same time.

I get to ride the challenging roads including the MHS loop, the dangerous Laos mountains with ridiculous pot-holes and the various muddy and dirt roads, especially at near border crossing between countries. I have also get to test my own physical and mental endurance and limits. Luckily I have the privilege of  doing it at the age I am right now. Any older would be so much tougher.  The view I get to see along the way was really priceless, especially the super windy Bokor hills in Cambodia, the Thahek loop in Laos and the Doi Itanon mountains in northern Thailand. This is not something we can easily experience by plainly flying into these countries. I was unable to fully capture these beautiful scenery as my photography skill sucks, and I took most of these pictures using an iPhone6.

Finally, I am glad to be safely back at SG, in the comfort of my home and the company I have with my family and friends. It was such a wonderful trip and I glad I did it. It is one of those memorable trips where I will never forget. There were so much details where I will not be able to recall and I will refer back to this blog as time pass.  I hope this blog provides the necessary information and tips for people who wish to do the same. Do contact me by the comments if you have any questions and I will do my best to help from my experience.

I have revised the map accordingly to the actual route traveled.


Ok, time to plan for my next trip.....

http://maxmotorcyclediary.blogspot.sg/p/se-asia-tour.html











Comments

  1. Welcome home Max and well done.
    That was quite a loop you did and it offered much variety.
    I was going to ask you to list the highlights but I see that you may have done that above
    in paragraph six. And you now have an archive of your journey for those future years when we
    are not able to tour on bikes (weep, weep). maybe we will meet up 'on the road' some day.
    Best wishes from Ron in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ron, thanks for your comments. I do hope we have a chance to meet on the road one day and given the chance when I have all the time I want, I would love to go to Chiang Mai during Xmas and be a Santa helper. :)

      Delete
  2. You would be most welcome Max.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Welcome back. We did a similar route and returned home the same day as you! Awesome travel! Unfortunately we didnt see you on the road. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, similar route and returned on the same day? what a coincidence. yeah, it was an awesome trip.

      Delete
  4. Awesome trip! That was certainly one hell of an adventure! Thankfully your bike woes were relatively minor and didn't cause you too much downtime. I've had to perform an engine overhaul when my bike broke down in Pai! So because of that, I didn't get to enjoy Pai as much as I would have loved to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey SGBikerboy, I knew what happened to your bike, I actually used your blog as one of the reference on my route planning. I must salute to you on doing about the same route with a 200cc engine. The amount of vibration would have numbed me in no time, lol.

      Delete
    2. Well, that’s really nothing... have you read about Juvena’s solo WORLD travel on her Vespa? Heeheeheh.

      Delete
    3. haha, Juvena Huang, she really a champion, wonder if she is ever gonna come back to singapore, it has been like years since she set off.

      Delete
    4. Last I heard, I think she's currently back in Singapore.... though it's probably only for a while before she re-commences her adventure. Awesome lady!

      Delete
    5. I wonder how she dealt with the vehicle inspection 😂

      Delete
    6. I think she managed to get them deferred... since the bike wasn’t physically in Singapore.

      Delete
  5. awesome trip, this bring me back memories when I had been sabotage by one of the rider in my group and I had to u-turn due to the accident.. LOL..

    Thumbs up! Will look forward to travel again when border reopen after covid! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Well, the unfortunate happens sometimes and we do not have a control over it. As long as we keep trying when situation allows, I am sure we will get the trip we want. I bet lots of bikers are preparing their bikes and dash out when the border opens :) . All the best to you !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts