SE ASIA - DAY 16 - SIEM REAP to 4 THOUSAND ISLAND(LAOS)


I thought I was prepared for the long ride, but did not expect that the actual ride is much longer than what Google map suggested. Apparently, Google map navigation is not workable in both Cambodia and Laos, I had to rely on Maps.Me app instead. Maps.me suggested that it will take 4.5hrs. Actual time taken was close to 9 hours. The initial ride on highway 6 was fine, but then when it connects to road 62, it was not so good road. Last 30km was hell, frequent dirt road with loose gravels that I did fish tail quite a bit, luckily no skidding.


 This was the last bridge to Stung Treng town before I reached the border.



Stamping of the passport requires USD2 charge. I just paid that.
Then they need custom papers of the motorcycle, which the Koh Kong border did not provide. Then they asked me to go into the custom office where the officer briefed me about it was wrong of me not to process the custom papers. I admitted that I wasnt aware of the procedures and he offered to let me off for being ignorant. :P  I gave him a thankful handshake.

50 meters later, I came to the Laos border control.
USD2 for stamping the passport, then over to the customs for conveyance of my motorcycle, they asked me for my LTA paper on ownership of the motorcycle as well as my passport. 10 mins later an another USD5 charged for the admittance of the motorcycle, I am cleared to go into Laos with them issuing me a 30 days permit for my motorcycle.


Checked in into a guesthouse in Don Khong (Mekong Inn @ USD25/night), the bigger island connected by a bridge on the 4 thousand islands. It is beside the grand Mekong river, very nice view from there.


Had a chicken curry with rice, the only thing I eat since breakfast.

The guesthouse is owned by a Laotian who migrated to Canada when she was young. Now she is retired and came back into her birth place in Don Khong to operate this guest house. She came over for a chat after I finished my food, a very pleasant lady.




Now I have to re-adjust my mental calculation, 8000 Laotian Kips = 1 USD.

Beer Lao is one of the better beer I have tasted, reminds me of Asahi Super Dry.

Day 17 - Don Khong to Pakse

Comments

  1. Beer Lao better than Singha? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, its a tough choice, each have their own charm and its not easy to find a place that offer both at the same time apart from the border towns. If there is, I would have gone for the cheaper one. 😂

      Delete
    2. Hey Max, hope you’re good and thanks for the info on the border. I want to cross from Cambodia to Laos with a Vietnamese registered bike. I have the blue card but don’t know what it’s papers are or custom papers.

      Can you offer more info, please?

      Cheers buddy,
      James

      Delete
    3. Hey Max, thanks for the info on the border crossing.

      I hope to enter Laos from Cambodia on a Vietnamese registered bike. I only have my blue card (the bike ownership document).

      Could you tell me how I can get a customs form and what the lta form is please?

      I’m just worried they won’t let me through.

      Cheers,
      James

      Delete
    4. Hi James,

      I have read that a Vietnamese Motorcycle can enter into LAOs and Cambodia. (https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com/crossing-borders-with-a-motorbike/) I have rented bikes from Tigit before and they really know their stuff. Just go through Na Mèo border as they have advised.

      The customs form and other necessary forms can be obtained from the Laos customs checkpoint. What you need to prepare is prove on ownership of the motorcycle, which is the blue card you have mentioned. That is equivalent to the LTA form which is applicable to a motorcycle that is registered in Singapore. Remember to smile and be friendly to the customs officer, they all seem like nice people to me. Hope it all works out well for you. Have fun.

      Max

      Delete
    5. Thanks so much for your reply Max :)

      I’m currently in Cambodia not Vietnam and want to enter Laos from Cambodia and Tigit seem to say you may have to pay a $100 bribe!

      I’m just worried I’ll get rejected or charged too much. Maybe I’ll jusy have to risk it and smile :)

      Delete
    6. For Cambodia to Laos, there have been reports that the Veun Kham - Stung Treng border is now closed to foreigners. You will need to go via Veun Kham - Dong Kralor border.

      I did made it through and I see no reasons for them to stop you if you have all the necessary papers on you. Depends on who is on duty on that day, you may need to brighten up their day with some monetary aids. Not $100, but maybe start with a $5 and see where it leads to.

      Delete
    7. Thanks so much for all of your help buddy :) most appreciated.

      I can’t locae Dong Kralor on google maps, do you know how to locate it? Sorry to keep bothering you with questions. I’m just worried about not making it through ha ha

      All I have for paperwork if my blue card but nothing else. I fear they’ll ask for more

      Delete
    8. https://www.laos-guide-999.com/laos-border.html

      Yeah, it's confusing, just how they named it.

      Stung Treng, which is closed to foreigner needs to be cross with a boat.
      It's just a couple hundreds of meters from the land-crossing(Dong Kralor) . Ironically, both of them at located in the same province named Stung Treng, Cambodia itself :) .

      Here's the link on google map where it's still open to foreigner

      https://goo.gl/maps/38NXM54irwp

      From the google review, just saw some white men crossing it yesterday.

      Delete
    9. Thanks Max. You’re a good man.

      Thanks for the link. It calls it Stung Treng which is confusing as that’s closed, but maybe they haven’t updated it correctly on google maps. I’ll head here and cross my fingers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts