SE ASIA - DAY 43 - SUKHOTHAI - Free and Easy

Indeed, the sky have cleared up when I woke up in the morning. No breakfast provided by the guest house, so I just rode directly to the Sukhothai Historical park 10 mins away.


Plenty of proper parking space there and there aren't much tourist visiting Sukhothai as compared to Angkor Wat. I read the review that it is highly recommended to rent a bicycle right outside the entrance because the compound is quite large. Alternatively, you may buy the tram ticket for 50THB, I thought bicycle is a better choice to explore at your own pace.

Rented a bicycle for 30THB, they provided a chain lock to lock it as some areas prohibit you to ride your bicycle inside. No deposit or any collateral required just pay 30THB and ride off.


Ticket cost 100THB and an additional 10THB for bringing in a bicycle.

There are 10 major ruin sites to be explored, each labelled with a number.









Looks like putting green on a golf course, but it is actually a pond covered with algae floating on top.

Can't ride my bike inside to take a picture together with the ruins, this was as close as I can get.


Took me about 3 hours to fully explore the place with a bicycle. Then I went to a nearby local Thai restaurant for a light meal. Had this Sukhothai Noodle Soup for 40THB.

Unlike other tourist area,  food prices here are not a big rip-off

In each of the village or town, it is common that there is a police check to make sure you have the proper identification documents, driving licence and such. I have never been stopped as a motorcyclist.

On my way back to the Sukhothai new town where my guest house is, they stopped me. The police asked me "%@%@%#@%#!%" , I said "No speak Thai" .
Then he see my number plate and waived me off, Phew, I didn't bring any of my identification papers, driving licences, passport. They were all stored in the pannier box at the hotel.

It has been damp weather for past few days and finally a sunny day.
There were lots of sunlight at the balcony, took this chance to put my lots of my stuff under the sun.


Hope the weather stays this way for the rest of the trip.

Yes,I have strayed from the initial route planned of crossing over to Myanmar by foot. The initial plan was to go up north after completing the MHS loop and cross over to Myanmar, the main objective was to do a VISA run of renewing the 15days VISA. Now that I have the VISA for up to 30 days, there was no longer a need for me to do so. I have decided to go to Bangkok, Phuket and maybe Krabi for a real relax holiday before heading back to Singapore.

Comments

  1. SUKHOTHAI is such a beautiful place. I like your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, also the people in these small towns are more sincere and nice. I remembered buying 3 big BBQ pork satay from a roadside store and i thought I heard him said fifty baht, gave him 2x20THB note and a 10THB coin and he said, fifteen baht, not fifty baht. It was a moment where I was touched, not because I saved myself 35THB, but for him being so honest, esp to tourist like me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts