SE ASIA - DAY 40 - MAI SARIANG to CHIANG MAI - MHS Loop Phase 4(Final)

This is going to be a long day.
I will be riding to the tallest point in Thailand, the Doi Intanon mountain and then back to Chiang Mai.

Although it is only 250km, the route is full of twist and turns in the mountains. except for the last 50km to Chiang Mai which is a highway.


I had a heavy breakfast knowing that it is going to be a long day, including the time exploring the Doi Inthanon.


Halfway through, I see that I only have only 2 litres of fuel left, and there are no petrol kiosk in sight. Start to panic. Then, in a small village, I found a self-service petrol kiosk. Yes, it looks just like that, one for petrol, one for diesel. Actually, it is gasohol, not petrol. It's a mixture of Petrol and Ethanol that is extracted from Bio-fuel.

I wasn't sure if this machine was even working, but since desperate, I slot in 100THB note and it reacts to it. However, all the instructions are in Thai.

Then I take the nozzle and put in into the bike's petrol tank and press the green button, squeeze the handle and petrol begins to flow. Phew !


Then I put in another 2x100THB note and filled it up some more. That should be enough for the rest of today until I reach Chiang Mai. Started my engine and it starts to roar. Ok, my bike can take Gasohol, not a problem.

Passed by a hot spring, can see lots of smoke coming out from the outlet.



Rest stops

Finally reached the view point at about noon time.

 This place is packed, most tourist come from Chiang Mai by chartering cars or Tuk Tuk. They all come prepared in winter clothing.

 A signboard saying that the altitude here is 2565 metres above sea level.


 Some kind of space observatory here.

Many rented bikes and rode here as well. Met a group of Malaysians and they recognized the Singapore licence plate and spoke to me for a short while.


Many stalls here selling food, wasn't feeling hungry.

Then down the mountain I go, road condition is half good, half not-so-good. No potholes but lots of craters and uneven bumps. Average speed about 50km/hr. It is only single lane and once you have a slow vehicle in front, it will form a chain of impatient convoy hoping the slow vehicle turns out of the road.

Checked in the same hotel as I previously stayed at 750THB.
Walked around and found this 滇南 (DianNan)minority tribe restaurant from 云南, decided to give it a try.

Ordered tomato egg and roast duck. Not bad. 245THB with Chinese tea.

Passed by a Cat cafe, it seems to be everywhere in the world now.

This cat was found staring out of the door. She looks kinda sad and I think she wants to go out and play.


Comments

Popular Posts