SE ASIA - Day 51 - CHUMPON to KRABI AO NANG BEACH

I have never been to Krabi my whole life. Instead, have been going to Phuket which is a more popular beach destination. I have heard that Krabi is less touristy and beautiful, this time, I am going to see it for myself if that is true.

There is a choice of whether to stay in the Krabi town or the beach. I have chosen the beach instead as most tourist would go for the scenery. I had enough of the Thailand towns and they all seem almost the same.


I set-off at 6.30am, route 41 was quite smooth doing at an average of 120km/hr. After turning into route 44, it was even smoother and much less cars, still I keep my speed to 120km/hr. The road on route 44 were really straight. 

The weather forecast mentioned that it will have thunderstorm today and tomorrow, luckily I have managed to avoid them. My plan is to stay here for two days before setting off to Phuket.


You will get to see those odd shape mountains once you are near Krabi.

Every town welcomes you with a blue signboard and highlighting the various tourist areas you should visit.


One thing to note that there seems to be one and only petrol station in route 44 until you reach near the Krabi town, which is about 80km. So do top up when you see the PT petrol station somewhere in the middle of it.


The last part of the road to Krabi Ao Nang beach was really slow. Single lane and difficult to overtake as there were quite a lot of vehicles and speed were limited to about 30km/hr.

I reached the Beach Terrace Hotel at about 11am, luckily they allow early check-in instead of asking me to wait until 2pm. Some hotels do that and it's such a pain waiting.


The room is huge. A queen size bed and a single bed, along with a sofa area. Cost SGD116/day, comes with breakfast. Then I realized after booking that this is for local Thai resident rate and it would have cost SGD8/day more for a foreigner rate. When I checked in, they did not mentioned anything about it. Phew !


Comes with a huge balcony, yes, this entire area is enclosed and accessible only to me. I am now thinking to flying my drone here without anyone disturbing. Yes, the tiles need to be refurbished and someone actually threw a mineral water bottle from the top and it lands down here.



With a study table.

and a workable safe. The hangers are of the hook type, +1 point to that.

 The beach is only about 100 meters away and there are boat services that can bring you to the nearby islands.



On the side of the beaches are shops selling the usual tourist items. I hate to buy at these shops, no price transparency and I hate to bargain.

I explored a few restaurants and they ain't cheap, infact, much more expensive that what you would have paid for in Bangkok. Then I passed by this Burger King and was attracted to this advertisement.


It has been ages since I last ate Burger King. I used to work in Burger King when I was studying in Secondary school for pocket money. After that, I got really sick of it because I must have prepared like thousands of burgers and after smelling them and eating it each time for employee meal, I stayed away from it for many many years.  I guess it's about time to eat it again, after 20+ years.

I didn't really had breakfast, apart from a bottle of milk I got from 7-11. So I ordered the featured Angus XT burger meal with upsized Coke Zero for 361THB. It is probably much cheaper than those restaurants. 



The burger was really tasty, with crispy bacon inside.

After the meal, I saw this heavily vandalized electrical box with various stickers and I decided to beautify it a little with a sticker of my own.

Will be visiting the "Walking Street" tonight after sunset, went out and and played my drone in my super big balcony.



Got a few videos taken from the drone, but it will take ages to edit with Adobe Premiere. Will post it later when I have the time to do so. (See Day 52 for the Drone video)

Comments

  1. "Then I realized after booking that this is for local Thai resident rate and it would have cost SGD8/day more for a foreigner rate."
    And that is what I (and most foreigners) detest about Thailand.
    The blatant and shameless pricing discrimination targeted at foreigners is all throughout the
    country. We generally avoid such places, be it a hotel, waterfall or National Park.
    The discrimination is technically illegal but no Thai will ever address the matter because it doesn't
    suit them to do so. Disgusting discrimination.

    Anyway, having gotten that off my chest, it looks like you're going to enjoy Krabi Max. You certainly seem to have a good location. And those drone shots are wonderful. Take care out there.

    (So sorry the meeting in Chiang Mai wasn't possible).

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron, being discriminated is certainty not anyone would like, but I guess this occurs in many places as much as we dislike. Krabi is a great place, but I do find it a little touristy at this state right now. I was actually enjoying the no discrimination in those little small towns like Chumpon whereby you just need to ask " tao rai" and pay what they need, I had the advantage of being an Asian and looking like one of them when I dont wear my sunglasses and my bonnie hat. But if they ask something back, that blew the covers away :).
      Krabi was great, but I am on my way to Phuket tomorrow for a real holiday, gonna stick there for a week before heading my way back to Singapore.

      Yeah, sorry that I have assumed you were on Whatsapp all the time, but anyway, I have got your contact and you have mine. Stay in touch for any riding adventures that we could possibly share together.

      Delete
    2. Max, you may know that the better beaches are out of Patong (yuk) further along at Karon and/or Kata. They are touristy now but not as intense, loud and crass as Patong.
      Dangerous surf at Kata/Karon though in case you are tempted to jump in.
      Yes, we both have more adventures to ride.
      My more reliable contact is via email.
      Enjoy!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the advice, Ron.
      Argh, I have already booked the hotel at Patong and fully paid for. Looks like I have no choice but to stay there. I would consider riding to Karon or Kata beach for a look if I have the time. Surfing is never my kind of game, never been good with anything to do with water apart from strolling along the beach.

      Will email you in future.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts