SE ASIA - DAY 45 - AYUTTHAYA to BANGKOK

Today's journey is going to be short, Ayutthaya is just 74km away from the hotel I have booked in Bangkok. But, heard of the Bangkok jam ? Yes, I am so afraid of getting caught in a jam with two bulky side panniers, riding jacket, full-face helmet while getting fried under the hot sun.


So I finish the hotel provided breakfast quickly and head off at 7am.

I faced the same issue riding to Pattaya when I reach highway 1, motorcycles are not allowed to join the main highway, they are only allowed to ride on the side pathways beside the main highway. It is frustrating because there are lots of taxis looking for passengers and they move really slow in these side pathways. Speed was averaged at about 70km/hr.

Thank god it's a Sunday and new year eve, there aren't as many vehicles on the road than I thought. Yet, traffic was slow due to many some traffic light issues. They was also an accident where a car hit the lamp post and the front is totally smashed. I was thinking who in the right mind would have driven at that kind of speed in this narrow road.  Perhaps someone had a drink too much celebrating for the new year last night.

Within Bangkok itself, Google map suggested many illegal right turns which I have to conciously avoid. I had to circle that area two times before finally making it to the hotel at about 10.30am. It's a budget hotel but since it is New Year's Eve, I am still charged at 2,000THB (SGD84) per night, Ouch !

I extended it for another two days at a rate of 1,500THB(SGD62) per night. So, total of 3 nights in Bangkok for R&R.  Okay, I would have opted for much better accommodation under normal circumstances if I would to go for a week's holiday. However, this is a 2 months holiday and I am alone, stayed out of the hotel most of the time and no point paying for such short lived luxury.


As I was only allowed to check-in at 2pm, I roamed around leaving my bike parked at the hotel's parking spaces.


There was a sign in Thai right at where I parked, I thought it means "No parking" and besides it appears to be some Fire Hydrant facility.  Don't care, I "no speak Thai", until someone tells me to shift it.


So much time to waste and I thought going to Siam Paragon to buy some souvenirs for my love one.
It was like 3km away and since I haven't been exercising much during the last 40days, I have decided to walk there instead.

The weather was hot and humid. So much different from Chiang Mai.
Thanks to the lousy compass on my Xiaomi phone, I went the wrong direction. It was only 1km later then I checked Google map and then turned around.

The last time I saw such tall buildings were when I was in Jinghong, China. That was already half a month ago. It feels so convenient to be back in such developed areas again.

Along Phetchaburi Road, I saw these scribblings on the ground for a stretch of 30 meters.
I suspect these might be the long lost circuit diagram for the Delorean time machine.


You may have seen these guys with orange vest with printed numbers in almost every corners of Bangkok. These are the motorcycle taxis riders. Just tell them where you want to go and hop on the pillion seat, no helmets needed, they don't provide any even if you want to. The rate starts from 20THB depending on the distance.


Passed by the Baiyoke Sky hotel with 88 storeys, making it the Thailand's tallest hotel. They are sold out today, probably lots of people wanting to catch the fireworks on New Year's Eve.  I probably would have been sleeping by then 😋

I passed by Central World, a big mall where the countdown party will be held tonight. They are setting up lots of barricades for crowd control and heavy security involved in scanning bags.
This probably started after the bombing cases some time back at one of the tourist attraction temple.


Sorry for the blurred picture, but I was quite nervous when taking this as they may have thought that I might have been a terrorist scouting the security measures that have been put in place. I tried exiting through a side door but it appears that all emergency exits have been locked shut with chains. I wonder if this is compromising fire safety.


Okay, then I manage to catch up a little of the Christmas mood while in front of Siam Paragon. I was in Mae Hong Son during Christmas eve and there were just like 10secs of fireworks to remind me of the festive moments.





Weather was so hot that I decided to take a taxi back. The fare was 73THB on the meter. I gave him 100THB note and then I said wait, I have 3THB in coins and started to dig my coin pocket. He gaved me 20THB and smile. I gave him the 3THB in coins and smile back and said "You owe me 10THB". Then he checked and said no 10THB coin. I digged my pocket and gave him 10THB coin, smile and said "You now give me 20THB". Ha ha ha, he gave up and give me the 20THB note. I have met a lot of dishonest taxi drivers in Bangkok. There was once this driver drove me in circles and I verified with Google map. I immediately asked him to stop got out of the cab.  I was just too lazy to complain to the Taxi company and I wonder if they would ever react to such complains.

Anyway, backed to the Hotel and checked in. Met my expectations except the Wifi.
Don't you hate those Wifi without encryption and then it prompts you for the Username and Password each time you try to connect ? Yes, this is one of the hotels that uses such inconvenient systems.

Firstly, the login prompt doesn't always come up on mobile phone. Secondly, their authentication server breaks down often and I have to login over and over again. Minus point for the Wifi, the rest was fine though.



Ok, time to go out and soak into some New Year mood. Of course, I am afraid of large crowds(and bomb) at the countdown so I will just chill out at a nearby restaurant.

So I ventured out of the hotel again, and couldn't find any decent place to have a New Year Eve dinner. Walked to the Phetchaburi MRT station and took one stop to Sukhumvit where Terminal 21 shopping mall is. The train were packed with people going out for the celebration.



There were quite decent restaurants there. I took a look at the menu at this restaurant that look quite okay. They were selling Wagyu steak and Angus beef for like 3K to 4K THB. Okay, I know the meat is expensive, but not something I thought is worth spending.


Ended up in a Japanese Izakaya(居酒屋), which seems to be heavily patronised by lots of Japanese.


Ordered some Yakitori(BBQ Chicken sticks) and Hokke Ichiyaboshi(Grilled fish left dried overnight with marinate).



They served free Soba noodles to all customers because it is New Years Eve. The Japanese eat this during New Years Eve for believing that this will bring longevity in life.


The bill added up to no more than 700THB with a big bottle of Asahi beer. Now this is what I call value !


Day 46 - Bangkok - Free and Easy

Comments

Popular Posts