SE ASIA - DAY 38 - PAI to MAE HONG SON - MHS Loop Phase 2

It is going to be an easy ride today, covering 107km of mountain roads which Google estimate to take about 2.5 hrs. Pai is an lovely rustic town, with lots of backpackers, an interesting and big night market and the place is still in some sort of  undeveloped state. Beautiful mountains surround the area and it is really a great place to lay back and relax. I would love to come here and relax for a week or two next time.



I woke up at 6.30am, checked the thermometer outside my little hut. 10 Degree Celsius, too cold to ride. As the hotel doesnt provide breakfast, I went over to the cafe nearby and had an American breakfast for 150THB, with coffee and orange juice all in.


Came back to the hotel, saw this BMW GS1200 parked at the hotel.
Not sure but I guess it's a Vietnam licence plate.


This bike definitely have a pillion rider, look at the add-on cushion at the rear box.


With sometime to spare, I clean up the bike's windscreen, it was really filthy dirty with lots of dead bugs and dirt. Oiled the chain, mount up my side panniers and the sun is starting to rise and bring out the warm sunshine. That's when I checkout and move out to Mae Hong Son town at 8.30am.

The usual twist and turn mountain roads but the road condition is good, not seen any major pot-holes along the way. I took my time and average my speed at about 50km/hr.

Taking breaks along the viewpoint.


At this viewpoint, they have a small playground. Look at the fun merry go round, requires four equally weight people to play together, otherwise the wheel will not spin.



Left my breadcrumbs behind along the way....

Stopped by the Su Tong Pae Bridge that is about 10km from Mae Hong Son town. No entrance fees and this bridge is connected to a temple across some farm fields, and it is made of Bamboo. You can hear the bamboo creaking when you take each step. They have some nice scenery out here.


If you plan to go here, don't walk together with an overweight person, he might bring you down together.




Reached the Baiyoke Chalet, charged at 1,610THB. (SGD66) They have cheaper options but I thought just pay SGD10 more for 50% bigger room for the Xmas eve comfort.



Mae Hong Son town is so much quieter than Pai. Little tourist hang around in this town, most people coming here are doing the MHS loop. There is a temple at the top of the mountain nearby, but I thought of giving it a miss.


Walked to the nearby Mae Hong Son lake. They were having a festival there.

Lake is not that big, but nice view with a Wat at the backdrop.

This festival is about participating schools trying to sell things for helping the unfortunate children in Thailand.

They sell little street food, deserts and handicrafts.

 They are proud and happy to do it.


Even the minority Kayan(Long Neck Karen) tribe school kids have taken part in this.

Had a really tasty lunch at a restaurant ride beside the river.  Judging by the cost of 1 big Singha bottle of beer at 85THB, the cost of living here is much lower than the rest of the places. The usual charge is about 120THB.  Total cost of this red curry stir fried beef with rice and the bottle of big Singha beer, 155THB. Good stuff !


Went back hotel and pack some stuff and do some laundry.
Rest for a while and it's dinner time, the night market is right outside the hotel.



Which is beside the MHS lake.

Look at this kid and the beer bottle balancing  he made all for the voluntary donation from passerby, I must say it is really not easy as it looks.

Had this 7 of these fried quail eggs for 20THB.

10THB each, I had three, then turned around and bought another three because it was good.

I wonder how does BBQ egg taste like, but 3 eggs is really too much, just doesn't want to waste food.

The fishes are too huge a portion for me to finish alone.

Bought some souvenirs for myself.
A T-shirt and 3 mini "I-did-the-MHS Loop" stickers to be sticked onto my Pannier boxes.
Okay, I know I have yet to complete it, will stick it after I complete the MHS loop.
But, apart from the cycling suits, I have been wearing the same two T-shirts for the last 38 days, need to spot fresh look for my selfies.


Got 3 sausages and a BBQ Pork (45THB) which is accompanied by some Thai salad vegetables and brought it back to hotel for some Xmas Eve dinner. Sorry, no Xmas turkey.

I had wanted to buy beer after lunch but the allowed hours of buying beer is from 11am - 2pm and then from 5pm - 12 midnight. If they are trying to deter alcohol abuse, I wonder how effective is this ?


The 7-11 convenient stores will remove the padlock once it is allowed to sell alcohol. I manage to buy the beer to go with the Xmas dinner.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Day 39 - Mae Hong Son to Mai Sariang (MHS Loop Phase 3)

Comments

Popular Posts