SE ASIA - DAY 35 - CHIANG RAI to CHIANG MAI

Chiang Rai is a small town. After exploring there for a day, I thought it was time to move on to the bigger city, Chiang Mai. I was here in Chiang Mai many years back, but was staying at a remote resort, didn't really have a chance to visit the bustling city during then. 

The morning at Chiang Rai was still very cold. I was struggling with the shivers and totally forgot and missed visiting the white temple(Wat Rong Kun) that I have planned. When I remembered, I was already 100km away, the cold temperature really gets into your mind. Then, I have planned to go visit Phayao as recommended by Ron, but then I thought I planned out the route on the google map but it took me to the shortest route instead.



I stopped halfway and put on my raincoat. Not because it was raining, but to block off the cold wind. It did help.


Anyway, it was a pleasant ride apart from the cold weather . There were rather strict speed checks on road 118 and I did witnessed people getting stopped by traffic police for speeding. I stayed closed to 80km/hr and did fine. There were heavy fogs on the way.



Arrived at the The Tikky Place hotel at about 12noon, 750THB(SGD31)/night .


Saw this big time chicken BBQ stall beside the hotel but they were only operating during lunch.

Went to a local coffee shop for some local food.
Wow, they have the equivalent of Makan Sutra, except that the host is much more attractive than our local uncle.


I had this fried oyster for 60THB. Not bad, taste just like SG Style, but slighly watery.


Of course that was my breakfast not lunch, I have decided to go for some  comfort food.



 Then I have shortlisted a few more shops along my way back.


Ha, saw UOB Kayhian's office in ChiangMai.

Passed by the Chiang Mai Art in Paradise

This is just like those 3D gallery that you can take rare pictures with, as for me, nope, I am alone, no one to take picture of myself. Gave it a miss.



Saw this Harley Road Glide. It looks super cool ~


and a Honda MSX 125 with a Ducati outfit.

Shangrila, grand as usual.

As I approach the Night Bazaar, they is this outdoor foot massage service.
Lots and lots of stalls.

Malls with restaurants catering to tourist from all over the world.

With stalls on both sides of the roads all the way to the Night Bazaar. There are quite a few Night Bazaar all gathered in one place.


The place is huge.


Had Chinese BBQ, combination of mutton and beef. 180THB.

and grilled prawns. 250THB for 5.

3 male and 2 female. You can see there are roes on the female ones. Taste like the orange prawn roe you found on sushi. Nice.

Got a table of Japanese sitting beside me saying that "Sakana ha oiishi ne" - "The fish is tasty". I was tempted to try for 250THB but I was totally stuffed. Will save this for another day.



Then I went to the mall. Remember I bought a pair of shoes in the market at Cambodia that offers minimum protection ? The soles are inferior rubber and doesn't offer the desired grip and it is made of very thin layer of velvet material. There is a sports shop in the mall that offers 50% discount for Caterpillar shoes. Bought this pair for 2,700THB (SGD111) , with steel toe protection and provides a much better protection to the ankles. Merry Xmas to myself. 😑


Will be staying here for another day and wait for the cold weather to go away before commencing the Mae Hong Son loop trip.

Day 36 - Chiang Mai - Free and Easy

Comments

Popular Posts