SE ASIA - DAY 30 - LUANG NAMTHA to JINGHONG(景洪)China

So I went to scout around for my mini-bus trip to China. The bus station that was supposed to be near to my hotel (Amandra Villa) have changed to only serving bus routes to nearby cities in Laos. In order to take a bus to China, I have to go to a new bus station some 10km south of the hotel.  Too far to walk, so I rode my motorcycle there and I was told to buy tickets on the very day, the lady assured me that there will be tickets available.

Ok, I went back to the hotel and had a chat with the hotel manager. He mentioned that they can book the ticket for me and arrange a Tuk Tuk service to the bus station, exactly what I need. This is at the additional cost of 30k KIPS(SGD 5). I thought, ah, not so much difference and it settles the problem of me getting there early in the morning. Taxis are non-existence here unless you make pre-arrangements.

Ticket was 130k KIPS, Tuk Tuk service 30k KIPS.

So the next day early morning, I packed what I needed for the mini-trip and lock the rest of my stuff to the bike and park in the hotel, with permission from the manager.



By the way, this chain lock I bought claimed to be resistant to hydraulic cutter, we shall see when I come back 2 days later.

The bus was supposed to depart at 8am and the pickup time was 7am. I was already out there locking and loading my bike at 6.30am. The kind hotel staff knew about my schedule and he prepared breakfast for me at 6.40am, what a nice gesture. He spoke great English too !

The Tuk Tuk was late, he came at 7.15am but it didnt bother me, coz the trip to the station was just about 10mins, come to the worst, I just hitch-hike any vehicle as they will definately passby the bus station anyway.


The Tuk tuk driver gave me the ticket and asked me to wait here.


I had wanted to go to Jing Hong(景洪), but it showed XiengHoung, doesit it give you the creepy thought that it was two different places ? So I measured the google map distance and it was about 250km away, this was as close as I could assume.


The bus arrived shortly before 8am, to my relief.
I was the only passenger, and there was a little girl who is hitching the ride to the Laos border.
It feels so good to be driven while I enjoy the scenery out from the window. Giant lalangs everywhere.



On the LAOS side of the border, they expect you to pay 20K KIPS (SGD3) to stamp your passport. Everybody pays that. Again, I did not want to get into any unnecessary trouble and pay it  accordingly. It was smooth getting out of LAOS.

By the time it reach China custom, I was the only passenger ! Yes, I chartered this bus。

The China custom was really really strict. The soldiers armed with rifles were literally going through every single item of my bag and ask me what is this, what is that.... why you come here, what ? riding ? what is the model of your bike......blah blah blah.... okay, I survived that interrogation and cleared the customs.

And I arrived at a whole new world !

Even the dogs can understand the Chinese I said, “你好” , “woof”, I can temporary bid he comms barrier behind.

They were selling big smoking pipes, just wondering what effect it has as I saw people putting conventional cigarettes on these pipes and smoked.

Signs of good economy, big contrast from what I see in Laos.

Had quite a few stops before reaching the final bus station in Jing Hong.

For the cost of 328RMB(SGD66), I got a really nice room at 绑海酒店 (Banghai Hotel)with breakfast.

Comes with the shoe polishing machine and a automated Mahjong table.


With a nice view of the river.

I reached there about 3pm, and after settled everything, it was dinner time. I skipped lunch because I had quite a filling breakfast. 

Saw this signboard near the popular food street and I went in.



Ordered just a veg and mountain goat meat.

It was heaven. Best meal for the last 2 weeks.

The goat meat was fresh and tender, and it comes with the skin that people normally remove it. Very chewy and nice.

Day 31 - JingHong 景洪 - Free and Easy

Comments

Popular Posts